Friday, January 02, 2009

Gran Torino



Defamer was being really bitchy to Gran Torino for awhile -- even their posts about Oscar handicapping would include some aside like "at least that's one less nomination spot for Gran Torino." This baffled and annoyed me since my reaction to the trailer was much closer to this, minus the detailed knowledge of Clint Eastwood's filmography.

I guess Defamer had some issue about how standing up to criminals is fascist and wrong, and seeing movies about guys doing cool shit will turn everyone into vigilantes or something. First of all, vigilantism is a satisfying and cathartic fantasy, not to mention awesome and badass, so get over yourselves and let us enjoy our movies in peace, Defamer wet blankets. Second, Gran Torino isn't that kind of movie anyway, so much as it is a meditation on those movies, about which Eastwood now seems to have complex feelings. So give the man some credit and don't judge so fast, jerks.

Anyway, aside from a few heavy-handed moments and the inexperienced Hmong cast's sometimes shaky acting (though no worse than the likes of, say, Jessica Alba), Gran Torino is a pretty fine movie, and its take on the values of the older generation, and what it meant to be a man, really rings true. It's a good movie to watch with your dad, which is what I did.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Boo, defamer. I really loved the film. It's funny you mentioned the thing about watching it with your Dad because that's exactly what I wished I had done! I left vowing to force him to go see it on his own.