Thursday, December 18, 2008

Diploma


Hey look! I finally got my diploma!

It's a long story but even though I graduated from USC two years ago, there was a hold on my diploma. Basically, they said I didn't go to a required student loan exit interview. I was sure that I had gone, so I figured it was just a misunderstanding and all I would have to do was call them and straighten it out. In fact, I figured it would be so simple that I didn't bother doing it for six or seven months.

Finally, I did call and I was told that I had missed some other exit interview, which was online. They gave me a web address but the online exit interview failed to work for some reason. I chalked it up to the site not being Mac compatible (I had just switched) and figured I would do it later on my old PC. However, my life at that point was busy and exciting and I never got around to it and eventually lost the website. Calling to get it again was never a priority.

Recently I've been thinking I should probably get around to getting that diploma, and I fortuitously discovered the original letter USC sent me about the hold, thus saving me the hassle of looking up the necessary phone numbers. At this point, the hold was especially asinine since I've long since paid off the small Federal Perkins loan that the exit interview pertained to. This fact meant nothing to the USC workers I spoke to, and I was again referred to the exit interview site.

However, you can't take the exit interview online without calling the ECSI for your school code, an annoying extra step that reminded me why I waited so long to deal with this. When I called the ECSI and asked for my school code, they looked up my records and, slightly confused, told me, that I was already paid up and they couldn't generate an exit interview for me. Fortunately, what they could do was call the school and remove the hold.

So if you want to get out of doing your exit interviews, all you have to do is wait a couple years and pay off your loan. And that's the boring story of how I beat the system.

2 comments:

Tommaso Sciortino said...

Congrats! Way to beat the system.

charlie w. said...

best boring story, ever! congrats.