Friday, April 25, 2008

Speed Racer

Go Speed Racer Go Music Video


Am I the only one who thinks Speed Racer looks kind of awesome? I've thought so since the teaser, one of the most thrilling movie promos I've ever seen. Download an HD version, put on some nice headphones or good speakers, soak it up, and try and disagree.

Granted, it's from the Wachowski brothers, who managed to follow up their can't-miss Matrix Reloaded trailer with the most heartbreaking of misfires, and after that produced an even-worse third installment that torpedoed any remaining goodwill for the franchise. But despite the total dramatic ineptitude of the Matrix sequels, the first Matrix proves that they are, or once were, capable of effective storytelling, and that's enough to give me hope that the Speed Racer movie will be at least somewhat as awesome as it promises to be.

Yes, it's pretty cheesy, but maybe the bubblegum-light subject matter will keep the Wachowskis from falling into the black hole of pretentiousness that doomed the Matrix sequels. It's a colorful, live-action anime spectacle full of race cars doing the impossible, and what could be better than that? This is sensory overload, eye candy in the truest sense; the bright colors almost literally taste sweet to your eyes. The trailers are such pure fun that they fill me with joy, and if the movie is any good at all it could easily join the ranks of my favorites. I can even forgive the monkey, and I hate monkey humor.

Normally the heavy reliance on CG over real car stunts would put me off, as in the Matrix Reloaded chase, whose computer generated vehicles undermined any stunts that may have been practical. But this movie creates such a complete fantasy universe that reality is irrelevant. It might as well be an animated car racing movie that happens to feature real actors. The people stand out more than the effects. It does look a lot like a video game, though -- specifically it looks a lot like MegaRace, a futuristic racer PC game I played back in middle school that featured similar colorful loop-de-loops. Even that just evokes in me fond nostalgia (despite MegaRace being a somewhat mediocre game).

I am trying to keep my expectations low, because the Wachowskis cannot be relied upon, but the truth is, yes, I am pretty excited to see Speed Racer. IMAX, anyone?

--

2 comments:

Zack said...

It's very pretty.

But it's also about Speed Racer.

I am torn. I think Burnout Paradise is enough car heroics for a year at least.

patrick said...

The Wachowski bros certainly put a lot of effort into making Speed Racer... the movie overall looked and felt like a cross between anime, a kaleidoscope, that Flintstones movie, a video game and the Dukes of Hazard