Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Emails With My Mom

My Mom:

You can still help people by calling for help. Don't walk into a trap yourself.


Subject: Fwd: Fw: New Rape Scam, please read
In Beware....

This was passed on to me by a friend:

Sunday afternoon around 5 PM, I headed to the Target in Wheaton, IL where crime is very rare and is mostly like bikes being stolen. It was still light outside and I parked close to the entrance. As I got out of my car and began walking towards Target, an older lady shouted to me from the passenger seat of a car parked about 30 feet away.

"Ma'am you must help me, help me please, help me Ma'am!" I looked her in the eyes and started to walk towards her when all of a sudden I remembered an email my Mom had sent me a week or two ago, about rapists and abductions using elderly people to lure women.

I paused, memorized the license plate, and immediately headed into Target to get a manager to come help this lady just in case something was up. While the woman manager headed out there, I kept a close watch just because I was curious what was wrong with the lady and wanted to make sure nothing happened.

As the Target lady walked toward the car and got very close to the old woman in order to help her, the back door flew open. A large man with a stocking cap on jumped out and stuck a gun to the lady's stomach and shoved her into the backseat of the car.

I yelled out, "call 911" several times. Just as I was saying that, a policeman who happened to be on the other side of the parking lot--and who saw the entire thing happen--raced over to the car. He was able to stop the car and arrest the male as well as the old lady who was involved in the scheme.

By God's grace everyone was all right--including myself--although I think we were quite shaken up. Like many of you, I would not in a million years have left an elderly person who was yelling for help if it weren't for the e-mail I had read last week. So I wanted to pass this along so you all can be aware and remember that you really can't trust anyone these days. You just never know when something like this could happen. I would have never dreamed it to happen to me especially on a Sunday afternoon at a Target in a "safe" area!

It definitely was not a coincidence that my mom sent the email just a few days before this happened. Please be careful, and always be aware of your surroundings. Just because you don't go over to help someone, does not mean you have to leave them in trouble, but don't go ALONE; you really don't know what kind of criminal activity might be going on.


Me:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/wheaton.asp

My Mom:

I didn't really believe it to be true, however, someone reading the story can get the idea. Now it is proven to be false someone else can try it without people suspecting it. You can never be too careful.

Me:

I knew you were going to say that. That is the rationale for everyone who forwards false warnings. Maybe I should invent a horrible story and email it to people, and then everyone will have to be afraid even though I made it up because now someone could get the idea.

Speaking of which, I heard that street gangs put poison on shopping cart handles and if you touch your face while you're shopping you could get very sick and die. Tell everyone you know.

My Mom:

You are not supposed to touch the germ infested shopping cart handle and then touch your face. My friend Dee always wears disposable gloves for shopping carts and gas pumps.

Me:

Your friend Dee = insane.

I did not account for the high level of craziness that already exists among you and your friends, no doubt a result of the scare-tactic emails you all forward to each other and believe wholeheartedly. I guess I will have to come up with a more ridiculous story to get a reaction from you.

My Mom:

You can never be too careful.

Me:

Yes you can. By putting gloves on just to use a shopping cart. That is being too careful.

--

3 comments:

Tommaso Sciortino said...

This is why I'm glad my mom doesn't have the e-mail.

Akela said...

I think it's just something that moms of a certain age do, cause I get these from my mom all the damn time and I, like you, try to explain how they're false but she refuses reason. It's something that happened in the uterus that set off a "gullible" hormone.

crystal said...

When I was home in July my dad's girlfriend's kid was really weird and didn't want to go shopping by herself because she was warned against going to target and other stores in the afternoon/daylight (she is 15 years old). I was like "what's her deal?!" and then her mom informed me that a friend of hers was abducted and murdered from a target parking lot earlier in the year and even though it was caught on cameras and at like 3pm, they never caught the guy and found the body months later. I felt like a jerk for implying that she was being overly nervous then!

Of course, that story made the news yet not email forwards.