Monday, January 08, 2007

True Tales Of The Writers Room and Blogging

No one at work reads this blog--at least, they don't admit to it--but they do know about it. Last week, one of the writers, who we'll call "Kevin,"* was joking about my blog and referred to me as "Kenny Bloggerly." Then, quite pleased with himself, enthused that "Kenny Bloggerly" ought to be the name of my blog. I informed him that it wasn't.

"But you're going to change it now, right?" he said eagerly.

"Mmm, no, not really," I replied, trying to be kind. "It's already linked in everyone's blogrolls as Herbie the Love Blog."

"But they would still link to you. They could change it eventually."

"Eh."

"So if you found a bag of gold on the ground, you wouldn't stop to pick it up?"

"Not if I have to put down a bigger bag of gold that I'm carrying."

Kevin suggested that I blog about the issue and put the choice forth to my readership. I shrugged it off. "Nah, I'm not going to do that," I said.

"Why?" he said. "Afraid of the deluge of support for Kenny Bloggerly in your comments?"

"I could see if your name was Herbie or something," said "Adam," one of the showrunners.

I held firm. "I don't think my name needs to be in the name of the blog."

Luckily, the other writer, "Sarah," supported me, simply because she agreed that Kenny Bloggerly was not such a great name for a blog.

"Are you going to blog about this incident now?" said Kevin.

"No," I said. "It's not really that interesting."

Kevin seemed hurt.

This week, he asked about it again. Clearly it is very important to him that he is mentioned here.

Wish granted, Kevin. Wish granted.

*his real name

--

7 comments:

Steve said...

I'm with you in opposing "Kenny Bloggerly." A blog name should convey personality, or something about the blog. "Kenny Bloggerly" conveys the fact that you have a blog, which people already know, since they're reading your blog. Being a blog is not what distinguishes your blog from other blogs, because they are blogs too.

It's kind of like 1995 when everyone's web page was titled "Bob's web page."

Tommaso Sciortino said...

It's true. Kenny's current blog title imparts important information that you might not know otherwise. Why, until I read this blog, I was only dimly aware that Kenny had a difficult to comprehend fascination with Herbie the love bug.

Before I always thought he was just that way about Back to the Future.

C said...

maybe you should take your you with herbies triptych and hang it at work. then, no one will question you. ever. again.

Zack said...

Kenny Bloggerly is a good name for a fake blog run by Kenny Byerly, but a terrible name for your real blog. Do with this information what you will.

Anonymous said...

Kevin-"I don't think my name needs to be in the name of the blog." I agree, but, I'd argue even harder that someone else's name has even less business being there. Yes, even a name taken from the cultural juggernaut that is the 60's movie series for kids featuring the talking car.

Kenny- But he doesn't talk, he just beeps and stuff.

Kevin- Beeps and stuff? Okay, dude...

Kenny- This isn't fair, I'm not actually saying any of this, it's a cheap shot.

Kevin- You're having fun though, right?

Kenny- I guess.

Kevin- (fatherly tone, hand on Kenny's cheek) You have to admit I write you more likable than you actually are.

Kenny- Maybe... Okay, you do... UGH! How come you get to say all the cool stuff and I'm coming off awkward?

Kevin- Art imitates life?

Kenny- I hate you! How do you know I won't just do this to you, but even worser?

Kevin- It's worse, Kenny. I'm banking on the fact that you'll look at it as having already been done and will probably lose interest before you get around to thinking up a way to battle back. I'm guessing I would.

Kenny- Hee! You're totally right. By the way, you are the coolest.

Kevin- (Gazes off at the horizon, sun glints off his rugged features. Soulful, enigmatic even, with the heart and soul of a champion... Also, pretty) The real Kenny couldn't have said it better himself.

Tommaso Sciortino said...

Art imitates art apparently:

An Interview with Britney Spears!!!!
Kenny Byerly, May 2002

...

HS: Wow, I can't believe it. Britney Spears just said she wants to have sex with me!

BS: That's right, I said that. Me. Britney Spears.

HS: Right here in an interview. You must really want it known how sexy I am and how much you would want to have sex with me.

BS: So, can I?

HS: What about your much-touted virginity?

BS: What about your much-touted sexiness?

HS: Touche.

BS: So, can I?

HS: After the interview. I have my journalistic integrity to consider. Only a true rock journalist would even be sitting here actually interviewing Britney Spears, and not just making it all up.

Zack said...

Kevin-"I don't think my name needs to be in the name of the blog." I agree, but, I'd argue even harder that someone else's name has even less business being there. Yes, even a name taken from the cultural juggernaut that is the 60's movie series for kids featuring the talking car.

Come on man, it's the name of the blog. This is a sentient, loving blog with feelings. It can't write, though, so it needs Kenny to communicate in its stead.

That's why it's called "Herbie the Love Blog." Kenny's just in the driver's seat -- but the Love Blog's driving, NATCH, wink ;)