Thursday, December 28, 2006

Gourmet I

Some of you may know that I am not much in the way of a cook. Then again, when I'm in a kitchen, I am very much in the way of a cook. Which is to say, I am so useless that I just get in the cook's way. I will often abort an exercise in food preparation when deciding just which food to microwave threatens to become too taxing.

Which is why I'm proud to announce that I have not only added an item to my cooking repertoire (heretofore consisting of grilled sandwiches, omelets, and breakfast quesadillas), but have, in fact, created an awesome new thing out of thin air.

Oh, yes.

Tonight, I made a tuna melt quesadilla. It is exactly what it sounds like. And yes, it rocks.

But I did have to go online to look up how to make tuna salad.

--

7 comments:

Tommaso Sciortino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tommaso Sciortino said...

Zack and i should come over and school you in the culinary arts. When we get through with you you'll be whipping up chicken-pot pies like they were nothing.

Zack said...

"Chicken pot pie" being code for "pineapple upside down cake" in Tommaso's comment.

Chicken pot pies are kind of a hassle. You gotta wait for them to bake and then cool, and you need a crust, and you need to chop up the veggies and stuff.

Noodles are God's gift to the impatient. Besides pasta dressed up with pesto or a red sauce, there's also soba, which has a fridge-stable dipping sauce, and other various non-Italian noodles.

Also, doesn't stir-frying take like five minutes? Maybe that would be a good place to direct any leftover culinary curiosity.

Anonymous said...

What about pasta? Fast. Yummy. Just boil water.

-W

Kenny said...

Boiling water always seems to take me around 20 minutes. And then it's hard to gauge the pasta, and how long to leave the pasta in. And then you have to use another pan to heat the sauce (and a cutting board and stuff if you want to add fresh things like sausage and mushrooms to make the sauce taste better--which you wouldn't think I would want to do, but if I'm going to go to the trouble of heating sauce in a pan, it ought to at least be good, or why bother, right?), and now you've gotten two things dirty already, not to mention the plate you'll use. And I also always end up making too little, or too much for one meal but not enough to make leftovers.

This is the mindset that makes pasta too difficult.

crystal said...

pasta where you just boil water and open a jar IS disgusting. so, you know more than you think!

Anonymous said...

They have ready made stuff at Trader Joe's, but it's hit or miss with that stuff. Some of it is really good, and some of it tastes like shit. I, personally, do not just simply open a can of whatever and boil water. I was trying to come up with something simple for you. You know, be of some help, but I guess you like to make everything extremely difficult. So let me, from this point forward, remain a silent, silent reader.

-W