Monday, October 16, 2006

Excuse Me While I Kiss The Sky

I am still reeling. The strange mix of awe and nausea has not yet subsided. Please, please, view the trailer for the troubled independent animation feature, Tugger, sometimes also referred to by its longer, more self-explanatory title, Tugger, the Jeep 4x4 Who Wanted to Fly.

After you click on the video, it takes a while to load. Be patient. Leave the window open and click back over when you hear it start to play. You will be rewarded with one of the most jaw-droppingly awful things ever to be animated.

In it, you will witness Tugger meeting up with his parents, who, logically enough, are a pair of vintage gas pumps at a quaint rural filling station. They fret heavy-handedly about Tugger's unrealistic dreams. Tugger's buddy, who is either a radio or some kind of lunchbox, agrees with them. Tugger breaks into a painful and deeply embarrassing song to argue that he will fly, and frankly, I believe him. Because in a world where a gas pump can give birth to a Jeep, who am I to say a Jeep can't fly?

My mouth was literally hanging open in amazement. Or maybe it was partially a gag reflex. I don't know.

*CORRECTION: The gas pumps are not Tugger's parents, but grandparently types named "Ma" and "Pa," so you can understand my confusion. I no longer believe a Jeep can fly.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Well that certainly looked awful, but it's worth noting that the kid's dvd market is a great dumping ground for shit like this.

My girlfriend has a seven year old brother who I've been hanging out with and it's been truly enlightening to see how his generation differs from mine. The biggest things I've noticed so far are computer games (he's playing massively multiplayer online games at a point when I was playing Sonic the Hedgehog) and car dvd players.

I swear, they can't go on a 5 minute car ride without putting a dvd in the car for him to watch. I've now seen 4 or 5 modern scoobidoos and a veggie-tales, so it doesn't surprise me at all that a company could think "Hey, I'll just design some weird cheap CG movie about cars and try to get it sold with car dvd players."

Mollynonymous said...

My children will be raised as Ludites.