Thursday, October 05, 2006

Bizarro 60

Me: How about a show where a group of fast-talking, highly articulate Christians weather attacks from a long-running network sketch comedy while their two star leaders coordinate protests and letter-writing campaigns? Meanwhile, less fundamentalist members within their ranks question the protests, offering a forum for our heroes to lecture everyone about why they are always right.

Mike: How about those fast-talking, highly articulate Christians never doing anything remotely Christian? Even though their entire lives are based around it? They just talk about being Christian and how important that is, while essentially behaving like non-Christians. ...Have you guys seen promos for some new show "Studio 60 on the Sunset
Strip"? It looks pretty good.


* * *

Studio 60 has become a show I love to hate. It gets so much so wrong, and is so consistently obnoxious, it makes me feel good to hate it. I like watching it just so I can find more to hate. Obviously, the show is aimed at people who like to pat themselves on the back and feel superior, so in a way, it's having the intended effect--it's just arriving at its goal from the opposite direction.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I've been watching it, but it hasn't really grabbed me. I'll give it a couple more episodes before I decide whether or not to keep it.

Simon said...

I'm just really impressed by how bad the comedy is. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't claiming their sketches were brilliant, but every episode is like "oh man, that's a GREAT idea" and then they show you the sketch and it's something really hamfisted like something you'd see at the first meeting of the Asian American Assocation at Berkeley.

And yes, the Christian thing is totally Aaron Sorkin blowing himself. Still, I enjoy watching it because it's so obviously going to get cancelled and because Sorkin's made me happy in the past.