Friday, August 04, 2006

It's Like You're There

This is what stand-up is like when you are embarrassingly twitchy, have no stage presence, an outrageously fidgety left hand, and a mic stand you don't have the sense to leave alone.

And you are hilarious.

So yes, I finally got the video of my June 24 Triumphant Return to Stand-Up. This is the first time I've seen an actual video of myself performing since I emceed that one Squelch show. That tape, though, I barely watched since you couldn't hear the laughs and it sounded like I was bombing. As for this one, the laughs sound great, but holy crap is it uncomfortable and embarrassing for me to watch. And I say that as someone who loves watching me. Is that what I look like onstage? Here I thought I was this perfect vision of awesome, and instead I am nervous and jittery and talk too fast, especially for the first couple of minutes. But it is good that I know this now, because now I realize just how much work my stage presence needs.

Perhaps you won't notice quite as much. I hope this is the case. Although if it is, that means I look like this all the time. I am not sure which notion is more horrible.

For those readers who live in LA, I hope making this available does not stop those who have not yet seen me live from doing so in the future. Remember, you still have an incentive: to see if I've improved.

10 comments:

Tommaso Sciortino said...

Now I'm ever sadder that I missed it. Good job kenny!

lyan! said...

That was really good. Studder-start, but that's understandable. I liked most of your new stuff, and I wasn't annoyed by the old things I remembered (and by annoyed I mean the recyclables weren't unfunny), though I was amazed at how slow your audience was to laugh at some of the jokes, which validated my claim that all USC-goers are retards. Thanks for that.

And yeah, stick your hand in your pocket.

Oh, and the, "I want a child like you [pants fumble]," was great. It's funny but good that you're a man (versus a college student) who can do that now.

lyan! said...

I meant to write stutter. D'oh.

lydia said...

My favorite bit was the unplanned "I'm sorry, are you a grandma?" which gave your old big a burst of life (or death).

Enjoyable! I hope I get to catch your stand-up in person again at some point...

Zack said...

Oh, the tornado joke.

How often do you think that woman uses the "Asian comic running the light" joke? Not enough? Yeah, that's what I think, too.

Kid Fabulous said...

That was hilarious!

blafard said...

you look good. have you put on some weight?

Zembla said...

Good to see you up on stage again. Funny set. I think you should put the hapa material further forward in your set, both because it works, but also because material about your race/appearance/whatever seem to work well there, to counter the audience's "Who the hell are you?" reaction.

lyan! said...

I agree, you've put on some weight, but in a good filled-out way.

Anonymous said...

Dude, Kenny. 101 is over now. It's time to dedicate yourself to something truly worthy of hours and hours of your time. That's right. It's time for a new blog. Why do I visit Herbie the Love Blog three times a week if he's not going to deliver me new insights into the funny world of all things Kenny? Really now. You're letting your fans down.
Kel