Thursday, July 06, 2006

Music From And Inspired By The Original Summer Soundtrack

When did this thing start where people refer to the popular songs of a given summer as their "summer soundtrack," or single out a song as their "summer anthem" or "song of summer"?

Anointing an official song of summer is like having an official religion; all it does is annoy the people who don't like it. I can't help reading Entertainment Weekly's PopWatch blog, since it's

a) frequently updated and

b) about trash,

but at the same time I can't stand it. The blog's author has repeatedly called the idiotic trailers for The Ant Bully "funny," thereby throwing his taste into question, and now he's pushing the whole "song of summer" nonsense.

It's not just EW. This is an actual thing. The other day, I even heard a girl, a real person, upon hearing a song, declare, "This is totally going on my summer soundtrack." What does that mean? Are you not allowed to listen to any other songs all summer? Must you drop the song(s) from rotation once summer ends? Can't they just be popular songs?

Probably what really bugs me about it is that the kind of songs that get anointed "songs of summer" are almost always songs I

a) could care less about, or

b) hate.

Whatever that new Christina Aguilera song is, is pretty good, but not that memorable, and sadly not even in the running. Instead there is "Crazy," which is a tolerable enough song, but I have no idea why people are so crazy about it. It's inoffensive, but in a style of music that utterly bores me. When I finally made the connection between the raved-about Gnarls Barkley and the rather ordinary-sounding song I'd heard so many times, I was baffled. This is what's so genius?

But I'd happily root for "Crazy" to be the song of summer if the "front-runner," according to PopWatch, is Nelly Furtado's obnoxious and stupid "Promiscuous Girl" (lyrics here, listen here). As much as I love really repetitive samples and entire songs where people tease each other about how they are maybe probably just about to have sex, I just can't get into it.

Will he still respect you if he gets it? No, dummy, but he doesn't respect you now, so you might as well let him hit it.

8 comments:

blafard said...

dude, talk about mainstream. If you want to talk about "songs of the summer" without losing all credibility, you should be talking about something like "Fucking" by David Banner.

matt said...

I too was baffled when I finally heard "Crazy." Maybe people are excited about it because it's the 50th pop song called "Crazy."

Zembla said...

I really like "Crazy", but I acknowledge that part of its explosion onto the "summer song" scene comes from these factors:

- It went to #1 in England based solely on downloads, so it was this mysterious hit song that wasn't available in stores.
- Gnarls Barkley is a supergroup with a funny name.
- Their live performances are entertaining.
- They dress up in themed costumes.
- It's a pretty weird song to have such mainstream success/appeal.

I haven't heard any of those other songs you mention in your post, however.

lyan! said...

I like the Fresh Prince's Summertime. That's about it.

matt said...

Excuse me, Lydia, "Summertime" was performed by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. Let's not diminish DJ Jazzy Jeff's contribution.

matt said...

Sorry, I thought that was Lydia. The "ly" threw my off.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Y R U making fun of that Promiscuous song. I've listened to it 4 like 50 gazillion times and like it's changed my like life. My life, Kenster. Instead of being boring, now I hit the clubs and slut it up, and I'm only like 13. Listen up, Kenster, and take notes 'cause this is for real, okay?

(Clears throat)

Slut is the new virgin.

So join the bandwagon.

I did.

Trust me, you'll thank me later.

-W

(I hate that Gnarls Barkeley song)

Anonymous said...

I don't know what "W" stands for, but I'm sure it's not short for "What Would Jesus Do," harlot. In the clubs at 13? "Slut is the new virgin" is as close as you'll ever get!

-demetrius