Tuesday, April 04, 2006

3 Fast 3 Furious: The Fastest and the Furiousest

I say that The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift looks pretty cool. Does that make me a retard? Probably. But it does look cool, and if you disagree you are no fun.

Yeah, the second one looked so bad, even I didn't bother to see it. Yeah, it's another sequel in an era of sequel glut. But think of it this way: This could just as easily be a stand-alone movie called Tokyo Drift that happens to be ripping off the Fast and the Furious movies. Paul Walker and Vin Diesel are both gone, replaced by Unknown McNoname and his charming southern drawl, offering lines like "All my life people have told me I don't fit in. Maybe I've just been in the wrong place." Meanwhile his companion Bow Wow gets the gem "When you drift, if you ain't out of control, you ain't in control."

And then there is the drifting and car crashing and even a Mustang racing a Nissan for some reason. The rumor is that in the movie, the Mustang's engine has been replaced by some Japanese engine, which is blasphemy to fans of American and Japanese cars alike.

Luckily I don't actually know enough about cars to get pissed off about things like that. In this case, I am the idiot demographic to which Hollywood is aiming when they disregard the details that enthusiasts hold dear.

Oh, well.

Plus it's set in Tokyo, which always looks cool, even if it's a Tokyo as silly and Hollywoodized as the movie's take on underground car culture.

TF&TF:TD is directed by Better Luck Tomorrow's Justin Lin, which gives it some Asian cred. Hopefully that's a sign that the Japanese characters will be more than stereotypes and background dressing. Well, as much as anyone's more than a stereotype in a movie like this.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that from the looks of it, this may be the best Fast and the Furious movie ever. But only because the first movie underutilized Jordana Brewster.


Fun fact:
The trailer uses a remixed version of the same song used in the car-chase-heavy Taxi trailer. And why not? It worked so well before, obviously.

4 comments:

Steve said...

The movie has pretty cars doing cool things. If you enjoy that sort of thing enough to spend ten bucks on it, who's to say you're wrong. I'm sure you're not foolish enough to expect any sort of story.

Incidentally, a friend of mine was an extra in that, playing a random Japanese guy, even though he's Korean. I assume this means 3F3F:TD is at least as authentic as Memoirs of a Geisha.

e; said...

It's set in Tokyo, but like most things it's set right here in Downtown LA.

http://blogdowntown.com/blog/2109

They were shooting down here at the same time MI:3 was doing their fake-Japan-with-Downtown shots.

Zack said...

Drifting is weird. I enjoy watching the drifting in this trailer, but every time there's a crash it's a total buzzkill. Usually the crashes are the interesting part.

Of course, it reminds me of Mario Kart. They call it snaking in Mario Kart, but it looks like the same thing, minus wiggling the control pad back and forth.

The girl doesn't look Japanese to me. Is she supposed to?

Kenny said...

Fake Tokyo!? I guess it is like Memoirs of a Geisha.

Well, whatever. As long as they make it look good.

I don't think the girl is supposed to be Japanese. At least not any more than Bow Wow is supposed to be Japanese.