Thursday, March 16, 2006

Twentieth Century Boy

It's my birthday.

Last night, after midnight passed and it first became my birthday, Stephanie presented me with my gift: An iPod Nano. I haven't had a chance to use it at all yet, but it's very exciting.

A few weeks ago, after allowing iTunes to sit on my hard drive unused since, well, whenever it was that I wrote that iTunes post, I actually opened the program and used it to purchase music online. Like so many major life experiences, it was an intimidating hurdle, but once I'd done it, it seemed easy and not such a big deal. In fact, I've done it a few more times since then.

It's only natural, really, that an iPod would soon follow. As Stephanie points out, all the people our age seem to have iPods, or, for those contrary types who hate successful things, mp3 players of some other stripe. I am too frugal to have taken that step on my own, so it is good that Stephanie took the initiative.

I feel so current and with-it. Finally I am living in the now. Once I buy a tuner I will be able to listen to podcasts in my car, which certainly sounds like a desireable thing.

Look out, world--I can now listen to audio of my choice no matter where I go, without lugging around a cumbersome Walkman loaded with some CD or cassette or vinyl record or what have you.

Get used to hearing me say things like this: "What's this? Oh, it's my iPod. I like to, you know, listen to music on it. It makes me cool. What's that? You didn't ask? Well, I'm happy to tell you anyhow."

I am pretty sure my life is going to completely change.

4 comments:

lyan! said...

I went the other way. I'm with that crowd who brings a boom box, a gramaphone, and a record player.


Though if someone bought me an ipod, I'd love it.

matt said...

Happy birthday! Your birthday is the day before St. Patrick's Day.

For the record, I don't hate iPods because they're successful. I have plenty of legitimate reasons for hating them. I also own one, though, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

lydia said...

I almost blogged a couple days ago about putting episode 4 of The Office on my iPod and feeling really happy just knowing it was on there.

Happy birthday, Kenny! Did you get a present in the mail? Was it from me???

C said...

Happy birthday. Your blog wouldn't let me look at it yesterday. So I'm not apologizing for being late.