Thursday, March 16, 2006

Contra Diction

On the next episode teaser of The Daily Show two days ago (consequently, yesterday's episode, but I've only seen the teaser in question rather than the actual episode so I'll stick to discussing that), they plugged a segment in which Nate Corddry learns to hunt quail. As the instructor hands Corddry a rifle, Corddry asks if he can get unlimited ammo by pressing "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, start." Which is, as everyone knows, wrong.

It really spoiled the joke for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It seems like most people who would recognize the reference would also know enough to tell that it's incorrect. And you can't excuse it by claiming it's meant to be a generic code, either, since Corddry goes on to explain that he's had a lot experience playing Contra in 1991.

Aside from my nitpicking, it still blows me away that our generation is now old enough that our childhood minutae is fodder for mainstream comedy. Just a few years ago this was the kind of in-jokey recent nostalgia you'd only find in, say, a college humor magazine. Now kids who were playing Contra in 1991 are working on The Daily Show. That means I'm supposed to be a grown-up by now.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Having seen the episode, I can tell you that he gets it wrong again by saying "Up down up down" at the beginning of the code.