Thursday, March 02, 2006

Cicierega

The past couple days I've been kind of fascinated by the work of Neil Cicierega, a nineteen-year-old stick figure of a young man with an impressive amount work on the Internet. He's got a bit of the self-conscious, too-intentional weirdness that certain teenagers latch onto, which I generally find irritating (probably because I used to think it was cool). This tendency reveals itself in the very name of his website: EvilTrailMix.com. But I can't deny that he seems pretty talented.

Even if you lose interest in this post later on, you should first check out the Potter Puppet Pals. Watch both animations, but start with "Bothering Snape."

Cicierega also makes music under the name Lemon Demon (formerly Trapezoid). He did the music for the "Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" animation that Steve linked to once, and which, honestly, I didn't care for much. Seems like he's also done stuff connected with Something Awful. But I found his website through his music video for "Word Disassociation" on Google Video. Here it is:



Again, maybe a little too pointedly random, but to give credit where it's due, it's well-shot, well-cut, the concept remains visually interesting throughout, and the song is good enough to stick pleasantly in my head. My main complaint is he eventually falls back on "antidisestablishmentarianism," which is not a word so much as a factoid a teacher tells you, which you file away for times when you want to seem smart and quirky.

UPDATE: I guess he's a pretty big deal on the Internet. He's got a Wikipedia entry, for crying out loud (now linked above)!

3 comments:

matt said...

Ah, so that's where the "Oh Snape!" gif on the Something Awful forums came from. Good to know.

Sarah said...

I'm not really very keen on the Ultimate Showdown, either, but I do like Ebaum's World Sucks. All that drama was very fun to watch.

matt said...

I think you should know that I've had "bother bother bother bother" in my head all damn day.