Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Two More Movies

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is a very sharp, darkly comic noir. It's tightly-written and pitch-perfect. The self-conscious narration threatens to be too smug and cutesy-clever, but it turns out to be just enough to be fun, and the rest of the movie works hard enough to earn your respect.

It is hard to believe that the love interest is Robert Downey Jr.'s age--mainly because she's actually more than ten years younger. Apparently they're both supposed to be around thirty-four, which doesn't work on Downey's end either. They couldn't really cast a woman in her mid-thirties? That said, Michelle Monaghan is hot and shows her tits. In this context, I think that is really the most appropriate word.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable ride, much more about the mystery and the comedy than the action, which is not quite what you'd expect from Shane Black, but it retains Black's flair for the over-the-top in other ways.

The question is, why didn't the movie do better at the box office? Was it marketed poorly? I, for one, was confused by its gradual release, and was never quite sure if the movie was playing yet--by the time I realized it was out, it had been in theaters for weeks.

The movie's overt Raymond Chandler homages also spurred me to buy another Chandler novel, which I've been sort of meaning to do for years.

Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic is funny, but I knew too many jokes going in, and the mostly quiet theater dampened the fun. Also, her pre-taped segments, aside from the opening and closing bits, have a weird, uncomfortable feel. I'm not sure if they are intentional efforts to push jokes past the point where they're funny (which I like to do myself, at least in theory) or if they're misfires. If she did it on purpose, I think it's kind of cool.

No comments: