Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Austen Powers

Looks like some people aren't as relieved as Lydia is by the new P&P movie.

Austen Society Outraged by "Sexy" New 'Pride & Prejudice'

Jane Austen academics have slammed a sexed-up Hollywood adaptation of classic novel Pride & Prejudice - insisting the movie is "totally inappropriate." The Jane Austen Society in North America, which also berates Keira Knightley's posture and Matthew MacFadyen's looks, have even threatened to cancel a special screening of the film at their annual convention. President Joan Klingel Ray says, "The film is full of sexual imagery which is totally inappropriate to Austen's novel. In one scene, a wild boar, which I assume is supposed to represent Darcy, wobbles through the farm with its sexual equipment on show." However, director Joe Wright is unperturbed by the criticisms: "They can go jump in a lake."


I know that when I see a boar's junk, I think "Darcy!" every time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The controversial part is that Mr. Darcy thinks the boar is a cow, and tries to milk it, to impress Elizabeth, with *hilarious* consequences!

-Sean

lyan! said...

When the fuck did 'junk' become the new hip way of saying penis? I do not approve.

lydia said...

Hmm, I didn't think "Darcy," and I was watching the movie!

Zack said...

According to Urbandictionary, at least as far back as Jan 2003. Sorry, Urbandictionary, I know, I know. That's all I got. Somebody wanna scour Google Print for this one?

...

Cassell's Dictionary of Slang does not have junk, but it does list junk in the trunk, and dates it simply as "1990s."

...

The Slangman Guide to Dirty English DOES contain the word, and is copyrighted 2003.

...

So, inconclusive. By the way, turns out Google Print is rad.

Kenny said...

Does "junk" mean "penis" specifically? I took it to mean the whole package, if you will. Cockaballs and all.

Either way, I think my usage is acceptable. But, am I wrong in my understanding?

Kenny said...

According to urbandictionary, I am right.

lyan! said...

cockaballs I approve by the way.

lydia said...

I'm not sure I approve of "junk," though it seems a good move if you're in the limerick-writing business:

I heard from my old mate Kenny
who has but few pleasures, if any.
He lost his famed junk
by torching his trunk...
"See the aftermath," says he, "for a penny."

Sarah said...

Yeah, that got fandom wanked last week. I still haven't seen it, but I want to. Damn baking sucking up all my free time.

I need to upload more books to Google Print.

Anonymous said...

The only downside of "junk" = genitals is that the phrase "junk in the trunk" ends up with an unintended meaning.

-Sean