Tuesday, September 27, 2005

New TV Season: Everybody Hates Chris

…is pretty good. Watch it here. A little bit Wonder Years, a little bit Malcolm in the Middle. Another show that was Wonder Years meets Malcolm was Oliver Beene. Like Oliver Beene, Everybody Hates Chris is set in an urban environment. Unlike Beene, Chris keeps it real. It’s down to earth and grounded in real-world problems.

The only weakness I found was the lame musical score—for instance one scene where the Rock parents discuss the bills is played to a silly Mickey-Mouse score that tries too hard to remind you that you’re watching a comedy. Chris needs to take a page from Malcolm or Scrubs, which use music to punctuate jokes without coming across dated or cheesy. Other than that, strong potential. I didn’t laugh out loud or fall in love at first sight like I did with the Arrested Development pilot, but really most shows take a few episodes to truly win you over.

…but it’s on against Joey! What to do…?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I thought Everybody Hates Chris was sweet and, while occasionally funny, was not laugh-out-loud funny. I hope UPN keeps it around.

I liked the music- the funk background songs. I do not remember the music in the scene you're talking about, so it must not have made any impression, good or bad.

Kenny said...

The funk stuff works. But there were some scenes with boring non-funky music. I think UPN will keep it around considering it is a huge hit. Which is great for any network but especially for them.

Sarah said...

Yeah, but that Taye Diggs show had a lot of buzz (well, for UPN) last year, and it fell off sharply after the first episode. Yes, I watched a couple episodes- Taye Diggs is pretty. But the show wasn't good enough for me to stick around.

UPN's got four, maybe five shows with either viewership or quality: EHC, America's Next Top Model, Veronica Mars, wrestling, and (sort of) Girlfriends. I'm watching three of those shows (ANTM is a guilty pleasure). I think that makes it a more essential station to me than the WB, at least. I'm only watching one of their shows (Everwood), and I might drop it like I did with Gilmore Girls and Smallville (got tired of them both at the beginning of last season).

I read somewhere that EHC beat Joey in 18-49s. Amazing.

Kenny said...

I read somewhere that EHC beat Joey in 18-49s. Amazing.

Have you seen Joey?

Sarah said...

No. I guess that's obvious?