Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Feel Guilty Yet?

This article says nothing a feature story timed to coincide with Murderball's release wouldn't have said, except it's got some guilt mixed in.

What's the matter, America? Is this movie failing because you don't like handicapped people? You should be ashamed of yourselves for letting this happen.

Don't look at me. I totally would have seen Murderball at Sundance if all the tickets hadn't been sold out. Obviously I'm okay with guys in wheelchairs. Okay, I didn't run out to see it in general release, but, you know, I've been busy. I've seen posters and thought about how I would be so completely willing to see that movie with the wheelchairs, and how I'm a pretty good person for being willing to do so. But give me a break; I haven't even seen Wedding Crashers yet.

The rest of you, though. You make me sick.

5 comments:

Zack said...

Murderwha?

If it's not on the side of a bus, I probably don't know about it. As far as I know, the only movie to come out this summer is Fantastic Four. Even if I hadn't seen a bus in the last couple months, SBC would still send me flyers advertising their premium DSL with claims of "blazing fast speed," "tough as rocks security," and "flexibility to meet [my] needs."

What I'm saying is that Murderball didn't try very hard. Lots of buzz my ass.

Steve F said...

You don't need to see Wedding Crashers. Just write down every romantic comedy cliche you can thing of, and then listen to a few Vince Vaughn audio clips from Swingers.

Recreating Murderball would be a little more difficult, but probably more entertaining. (Step 1. Take a baseball bat to a physical therapy center...)

C said...

"The only explanation is that people don't want to see something about handicapped people."

really? the ONLY explaination?

the movie is showing in 80-100 theaters. that's less than 2 per state. i get very grumpy when I have to go more than 15 mins to see a movie.

also, it's rated R. which seems to be not a very popular rating these days.

and it's the opposite of a hollywood movie where everyone is young, and beautiful.

oh yeah, and people don't like looking at the handicapped

Anonymous said...

Dude, it's a documentary. And it's rated R.

In theory, the Bay Area should be the market which fears the handicapped the least. The movie is playing on exactly one art house screen in SF, and one additional screen in Berkeley. There is zero advertising for it. What the hell did they expect?

Sarah said...

I think it's playing a block or two from my workplace.