Friday, June 24, 2005

Herbie Stage Show

I didn't say much about the El Capitan Herbie stage show because there isn't much to say. The video linked to from the message board pretty much does do it justice. Herbie's appearance onstage is the highlight, but it only happens at the end. What you're watching there is the grand finale. Before Herbie comes out, it's just a bunch of dancers (but somehow not enough) dancing with Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy to tunes from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, representing the decades of Herbie's movies.

As the fellow with the pictures notes, it's all very cheesy, and the DJ is constantly exhorting the audience to get to our feet or clap in rhythm, and as much as I wanted to be in the spirit of the thing, I couldn't make myself stand up. I did clap, but I've always been bad at clapping in rhythm. I always find the off-beat somehow. The good part was that a bunch of Herbie clips from the old movies played on the circular screen where you see the 53 (the number is projected on, so it disappears when the clips play). With Herbie up on that screen, it was impossible for me to pay much attention to the dancing, no matter how I tried.

Overall, though, the El Capitan and the stage show were worth it. The show itself was forgettable except for Herbie's appearance, but the important thing was seeing Herbie: Fully Loaded with the right amount of fanfare. A celebratory stage show set the appropriate mood for the momentous occasion.

No comments: