Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Hakone


Stephanie, in our traditional-style room in Hakone. They served a big meal in our room, course after course of weird dishes on tiny plates. The sushi was great, of course, but there are also lots of Japanese dishes that are based in bean paste or very sticky dough that's hard to chew, or otherwise strange, unrecognizable things. I am normally not a risky eater, but I grant Japanese food the benefit of the doubt in a way I don't for, say, Chinese food. If Chinese food is gross, I'll proclaim it gross. If Japanese food is gross, well, that's Japanese food--try it anyway. I felt further obligated to try everything because the hostess would come back to the room to set up the next dishes, and if I hadn't been eating I felt I would disappoint her. Posted by Hello

No comments: