Tuesday, May 31, 2005

We're Back!

Thoughts on returning

The worst part of traveling for me is getting to and from the airport. Actually sitting on a plane is great. Yeah, it’s cramped, but to there are worse things than having nine hours to do nothing but read, sleep or watch movies on a tiny, faraway screen. It’s a good thing we don’t have to bow to people here because people here don’t deserve to be bowed to (re: our shuttle service back from the airport). Ads are less annoying when I don’t understand them. When it’s just energetic gibberish, ubiquitous billboards and ad screens are kind of charming. When people ask me questions, my first instinct is to say “Hai,” and smile and bow. Stephanie worries where we will put all the stuff we bought. I say, you don’t have to worry about that if you put off unpacking, but Stephanie always feels the need to go ahead and do things.

Most of you will receive your gifts at Anime Expo.

A quick summary of the rest of our trip:

Hakone

Up in the mountains outside Tokyo. We stayed at a fancy hot spring, where they served us dauntingly elaborate meals in our rooms. Lots of the food was weird but we felt bad if we didn’t eat it all.

Osaka

We went to Osaka because we couldn’t get a hotel in Kyoto. We wandered around the shopping area that’s known as America-Mura because there’s a Statue of Liberty on top of a building there. It’s otherwise not very America-like, but there are a lot of hip-hop oriented stores. Also lots of great kitschy storefronts.

Kyoto

Much wandering around trying to get oriented. Saw a temple, saw a castle, saw some old-style Japan streets.

Hiroshima

Peace Park, Peace Museum.

See, this is why you need to blog about your trip as you’re doing it. I can’t be bothered to think about the details now. I’ll photoblog a few notable things and you’ll see it in more detail.

4 comments:

Tommaso Sciortino said...

Man, everybody's going to Japan. I want to go too. There, I've said my peace.

C said...

oh good, you're back. I was afraid you got kidnapped by gun slinging school girls or giant robots or something

lyan! said...

I still haven't figured everything out, but my ouiji board is saying that It's likely for me to have a car, so if you come to japan, go to osaka, I could come get you -- and drive on the wrong side of the road!

Sumana said...

I remember Hakone. That was really nice. Did you go on the funicular above the phosphorous fields?