Monday, January 24, 2005

Librarians and Rock Stars

Ask Nettie Day is another blog by a student librarian. Cynth, you should network.

But that's a flimsy excuse for a post. Let's talk some more.

While I was at Best Buy the other day, picking up Curb Your Enthusiasm season 3 and Shaun of the Dead, I impulse-bought the CD Fit to Be Tied: Great Hits by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. I've been growing fond of Jett lately. "I Love Rock & Roll" was fun when I first heard it years ago on the Wayne's World 2 soundtrack, but got old fast and never made me seek out her other stuff. But lately, "Bad Reputation" has been my favorite track from Freaks and Geeks, and "I Hate Myself for Loving You" is my crowd-pleasing new karaoke standard (and as I tell Stephanie, a great choice for a wedding song someday). So I thought, might as well actually buy a compilation CD.

I'm not regretting it at all. The three tracks I mentioned were on it, but I don't mind having them all in one place with a bunch of new ones. She does a cover of "Road Runner" that's pretty cool, and also a cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme, "Love is All Around." She's got a great tough rock chick persona, as she should since she pretty much defined what that is. I may go on to seek out more.

6 comments:

C said...

do you know this Nettie person?

just asking, because library blogs are about a dime a dozen. librarian types are known for having a strong web presence

lydia said...

the bellydancing ones, especially!

Kenny said...

No, it's completely random. I didn't realize library blogs were so common. I thought I had found something very special and worth sharing. I guess not. Sorry I bothered you. :(

C said...

awww, you never use frownys, don't be so sad.

the thing about blogs is that they have to be really good, i mean really good, to keep my interest if they're written by a stranger. even the ones that are just meant to be informative.

Xine said...

Oh but Nettie IS special, if I do say so myself as her creator...

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the "Love Is All Around" cover. ESPN used it as their WNBA theme one year.

I first heard Joan Jett after I thoroughly enjoyed Weird Al's "I Love Rocky Road", and slowly realized it was a parody of something else.

-Sean