This is why reading sucks. It takes the wind out of your sails when you're trying to sound superior. If I don't read, no one else should either.
I could pretend that I did it on purpose to be funny, but I didn't. I have to take the hit on this one, it's unavoidable. However, let's remember a few things:
1) Some of the lines have been changed for the trailer, and the alterations do the writing no favors. Some of the changes are parts I complained about.
2) H.G. Wells' writing sounds very labored and stilted to a modern ear, and very pretentious when dropped into a trailer for a summer blockbuster. Maybe his shitty writing is why I don't read old books! Eh? Eh? Eh.
3) I need to read more.
4) At least I take down with me the commenters who praised the post, reveling in their own high opinion of themselves.
5) It did occur to me (or maybe it was Stephanie who raised the possibility) that the voice-over was derived from the Wells text, but I didn't bother to check before writing the rant.
6) Writing angry curse-filled rants on the Internet makes you sound like a moron, sometimes in more glaring ways than others.