Thursday, December 16, 2004

George Michael

Went to see The Life Aquatic last night at The Grove in Los Angeles (more on the movie later). The theater seemed to be very poorly run, with a huge line forming for Life Aquatic, and the staff not letting the line into the theater until a few minutes after the posted showtime. Which means that by the time the previews started, it was already nearly half an hour after the time the pre-show commercials were supposed to begin.

Irritating enough on a a weekend, but especially annoying at a 10:05 show on a weeknight with work the next day. A surprisingly large crowd for a Wednesday night, actually--the theater was packed, since this is currently the only place in LA to see The Life Aquatic until it opens wide later this month. It's a good thing we avoided the weekend, especially since The Grove charges $12.50 a ticket on the weekends (we got a weekday bargain of only $10.75!).

Celebrity sighting: At Westfield Shoppingtown in Century City, you slum it with the likes of Andy from The Apprentice. But at The Grove, we saw Michael Cera, or George Michael Bluth from Arrested Development, coming out of the theater from the previous show. Sure, Apprentice probably does bigger numbers, but George Michael is cooler in my book.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

You saw Michael Cera? That's so awesome! And much cooler than anyone from The Apprentice.

C said...

for another george michael story please click on beth, linked from my blog

C said...

it may take a while, but it is the post dated dec. 14. he seems to be around

Kenny said...

Wow. That was a much better story. It really puts mine to shame. I didn't know they shot the banana stand scenes in Marina Del Rey. I always thought it would be a lot of trouble to actually shoot the show all the way down in Newport. So it completely makes sense that they don't. For some reason even though everybody knows that locations on TV/movies are never shot where they supposedly are, for a place like Orange County, which is not in LA but reasonably close, I sort of assumed that they would actually shoot there (and occasionally they probably do). Marina Del Rey. Duh.

lydia said...

That is a good story--I'm happy for Beth. I still think Kenny should have tried to get in on the Herbie movie action.

Elizabeth said...

Hi, this is Beth, you might remember me from such blogs as Queen of Pretense and some comments on Deep Frying and Ranting. Cyndi showed me your blog because apparently you had also seen my all-time favorite person ever, Michael Cera, aka George Michael Bluth. I'm glad to know he likes Wes Anderson movies, that's something we have in common and one more step toward me maybe marrying him when he's 24 and I'm 34. I was reading your post and I saw that you also recently spotted Andy from the Apprentice at the Century City Mall. Did that occurance happen on Saturday during a showing of Oceans 12, or does Andy just hang out at that mall constantly? When we saw him he was wearing a stipey shirt and after the movie he stood around in line for parking validation and tried to look like he didn't want to be recognized even though he clearly did. It was funny and pathetic. Anyway. Strange that we encountered the same pseudo-celebrities. Well, hope I'm not intruding, and I enjoyed your short film which Cyndi let us watch. Bye!