Friday, September 03, 2004

This is not news

...but what a headline.

'Weird Al' Yankovic attacked by green moths
Friday, September 3, 2004 Posted: 5:12 PM EDT (2112 GMT)

DU QUOIN, Illinois (AP) -- Things got hairy for parody singer "Weird Al" Yankovic as a flock of unwanted fans rushed onstage during his performance at a state fair in southern Illinois.

Green moths swarmed Yankovic, some nesting in his trademark long curly locks.

"My band asked me if I could find a concert where we would be attacked by insects," Yankovic told his audience Wednesday at the Du Quoin State Fair. "I said I would see what I could do."

Yankovic didn't seem bugged by the uninvited guests, though, as he plugged along with songs and costume changes during his self-described "rock and comedy multimedia extravaganza" to support his recent album, "Poodle Hat."


The cutesy reference to the moths as "fans" in the lead paragraph is unnecessarily confusing, and at first makes you think, "Swarmed by moths and fans? That really was a rough night!" The "bugged" and "hairy" puns are pretty bad too, though they are the only reason this story runs more than a paragraph. Even the AP doesn't end stories as quickly as they should.

I'm still in issue critique mode.

No comments: